As an Old School guest, or anyone that we do business with, we will collect, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the below.
1. The information we collect
Personal data regarding guests, other individuals with whom we do business or who visit us may be collected in an electronic, oral or written format, in the form of:
- Title, name, telephone number, e-mail address, postal address including postcode, access requirements, nationality, credit/debit card details, dietary requirements, business details.
- Transaction information: including payment, reservation and booking details.
- Participation details including events, special occasions and others, where you provide us with detailed information such as menu pre-orders.
- Guest stay information, including dates of arrival and departure, special requests made, observations regarding room and food and beverage preferences, telephone numbers dialled, information necessary to fulfil special health condition related requests.
- Customer communication preferences and feedback, including marketing preferences.
- Information collected using closed-circuit television systems and internet systems (wireless network that collects data about devices and locations).
- In specified cases, information regarding credit of customers.
Where you book accommodation for other people, we may ask you to provide the above information about them (e.g. we will usually ask for the title, first name and surname, e-mail address, nationality and preferences of a person for each room you book for identification purposes). You should only provide us with information about other people if you have their permission to do so. (In cases where we supply a surprise voucher for you to give as a gift, we only ask for the name of the guest to whom you are giving the voucher and destroy that information after issue.)
2. Use of data that we collect
Data is used for the following and will be held as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose.
- To provide and charge for bed and breakfast accommodation, events and other goods and services.
- To send information communications (e.g. reservation and booking confirmations/enquiry replies/payment, detail and appointment reminders/follow ups etc) and seasonal greetings.
- Advertising, analytics and for sending marketing communications such as a newsletter. If you have agreed to receive marketing communications from us, you may opt out or change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us.
- To provide for the safety and security of staff, guests and visitors.
- To fulfil contracted agreements to companies such as those arranging group travel or company accommodation.
- To process credit applications.
Data is used exclusively by the Old School and its authorised partners. Data collected will not be passed on or sold to any other third parties.
3.Storage of data and security
The Old School does not store any credit card details. Any data stored has been kept in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and from 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation. Card data is kept for the time required to process a transaction or reservation. We will keep your details while you are an active user or for a period of three years whichever is the longer. We take the security of any personal information we hold very seriously.
Our web servers are housed behind a secure firewall that prevents access to our databases by unauthorised users.
However, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site: any transmission is at your risk. Once we have received your information, we will handle it in accordance with our usual practices.
4. Sharing your personal information with third parties
We may disclose your personal information to (in so far as this is in line with our data protection laws):
A buyer in the event that we are acquired by a third party (as your information may be one of the transferring assets); and/or any third party where we are under a legal duty to do so, or in order to enforce or protect any of our rights, property or safety (or those of our customers). This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where personal information is processed on our behalf by third parties (such as for the purposes of processing your room booking) there are measures in place to keep your information secure.
Your company: if there is an agreement in place for your company to pay for your stay, the details of your stay will be sent across in the specified manner.
We reserve the right to disclose any personal information we have concerning you if we are compelled to do so by a court of law or lawfully requested to do so by a governmental entity or if we determine it is necessary or desirable to comply with the law or to protect or defend our rights or property in accordance with applicable laws.
When you link to other websites, mobile sites or apps we are not responsible or liable for them. You should read the privacy policies for those linked sites or apps before you submit any personal information to them.
You may see targeted advertisements based on information collected by us or third parties and/or may be based on your activites on our websites or third-party websites.
5.Cookies and our website
6. Social media
Our website contains links to third party social media platforms. You will be able to activate them manually. If you do so, the third parties who operate these platforms may be able to identify you, they may be able to determine how you use this website and they may link and store this information with your social media profile. Please consult the data protection policies of these social media platforms to understand what they will be doing with your personal data. If you follow these links, you will be doing so at your own risk.
7. External links
If you click on a link found on our website, you should always look at the location bar within your browser to determine whether you have been linked to a different website. This policy is limited to our own information collection practices.
We are not responsible for the information, collection practices or privacy policies of other websites maintained by third parties where you submit your personal information. These links are provided for your convenience only. We do not control such websites and are not responsible for their content. The inclusion of links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their operators.
We urge you to read the privacy and security policies of any external websites before providing any personal information while accessing those websites.
Our website does not sell products or services for purchase by children (under the age of 16) and we do not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from children.
9. Accessing data
You have the right to access your personal data. We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove contact information you think is inaccurate by contacting us.
You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. To do so, please contact us.
All requests for access to your personal information must be submitted in writing to Wendy Veale by letter or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) and proof of ID will need to be provided. We may respond to your request by letter, e-mail, telephone or other suitable method.
We will abide by any request from you not to send you direct marketing materials. When such a request is received, your contact details will be 'suppressed' rather than deleted. This will ensure that your request is recorded and retained unless you provide a later consent that overrides it.
You may request that we correct, cancel, and/or stop processing or using personal information that we hold about you. If we agree that the personal information is incorrect, or that the processing should be stopped, we will delete or correct the personal information. If we do not agree that the personal information is incorrect we will tell you that we do not agree, explain our refusal to you and record the fact that you consider that personal information to be incorrect in the relevant file(s).
10. Staff recruitment
We will only keep the details of those applicants who are unsuccessful with prior consent.
12. Contact us
or call +44 (0)1608 674588 or write to us at:
The Old School